Friday, February 3, 2017

The March for Life: Why We March, Part Two


Friday morning found me attending Mass at 7am at Holy Family Catholic Church in Dale City, Va. I knew immediately who my host was when I walked through the doors even though we hadn't met and her Facebook profile was a picture of a flag. I sat several rows behind Mariana and her husband and could see her looking over her shoulder trying to find me.

But let me back up. Mass! I knew it was important that I needed to attend Mass before heading to the March for Life. To have this as part of my arrangements with my host was so much part of the details that God had already planned for me. How amazing was it that I was staying in Manassas and that my Army wife friend connected me to another friend who also lived in Manassas? Truly, all part of the plan.

After Mass, I met Mariana and her husband Dom and we walked out to the RV she had mentioned before. Turns out the RV was for the Knights of Columbus of Virginia and it's purpose was to provide donuts, hot coffee and lunch for the knights who were volunteering at the March as well as giving a ride downtown to the members from Holy Family. There were 14 of us all together and we filled every available seat and the bed in the back. At this point it still wasn't clear to me what my role was going to be in the march. I was just very happy for the ride and was expecting to be dropped off somewhere to join in with the masses of people.

After pleasant conversation during the 40 minute drive to DC, we pulled into a street behind Washington Monument. You guys! The street was blocked off and they waved us through the barricade! And a DC K9 police officer walked around the RV and then told us we could go. The RV pulled up directly behind the Washington Monument and we all tumbled out. We were in a restricted area, right behind the monument and the March for Life Rally stage. It was almost 9am and you could begin to hear music and see people starting to arrive. And I was just standing there soaking in this experience, along for the ride!

Another vehicle pulled up shortly after us and the organizer of the Virginia Knights of Columbus was with them. They began to pass out hats and white windbreaker jackets to the men and somebody told me I needed to get a hat and windbreaker. And then it occurred to me.
I was a volunteer.
I wasn't just coming to the march to be a part of something huge, to share my voice with more 500,000 other people with the same voice.
God had provided a specific role for me and it was to volunteer.
I found out a bit later that we would be holding a rope that cordoned off the start of the march from they street bystanders.
Y'all. I was a volunteer AND I would be marching at the start of the march.
I can't begin to explain how overwhelmed I was. Throughout the few days that I was preparing to come to the March, I had trusted completely that God would work out every detail. And He did. And He did it in such a big way that just about brought me to my knees.


Part three, I'll tell you about the VIP back stage area, totally fan-girling with Mariana, and the March.

No comments:

Post a Comment